Faughnan Home | FP
Web Starter | Contact Info | Glossaries and Links | Site
Web Application Development: Workshop Outline
Participants will be able to:
- Identify, and describe, potential web-based solutions for a range of clinical,
educational, and research problems.
- Create basic data input forms using HTML .
- Use both Internet and print resources to helpp implement database solutions, scripting,
- Select appropriate tools and/or consultants for web page development.
Didactic (120 minutes)
Part I (60 minutes)
- Introduction, Orientation, Goals, Objectives, and Prerequisites. (10 min) (BE)
- Background: Motivation, Terminology, Intra vs. Internets (10 min) (BE)
- Web Application Examples: clinical, educational, research (10) (BE)
- Introduction to Workshop Web Page Resource (5 min, JF)
- Web Application -- program submission: Forms, CGI, and Scripting
(30 min, JF)
Break (10 minutes)
Part Two (55 minutes)
- Web-Database Applications: Client-Server Architecture (15
- Web-Database Applications: WebStar, WEB FM, and FileMaker Pro 3.0
(15 min, JF)
- Web-Database Applications: Patient Data. (JF & BE, 10)
- What can be done: anything?
- Browser Interface limitations - Java?
- How does it work?
- Issues in Web Application Creation and Maintenance (JF, 10)
- HTML validation
- reliability, security, performance
- content, representation, and structure
- static vs. dynamic pages
- web application generators: Cold Fusion, Tango, Dimension X
- Summary, Review, Intro to Computer Lab, Question and Answer (15) (BE)
- References and Hot List.
Computer Lab (60 minutes)
- Intranet Demonstration (JF)
- Web Server Configuration (JF)
- Form Construction (each team revises template) (JF & BE)
- FileMaker database on Server (BE)
- CGI: demonstrate (have on client machines) (JF)
- client machines access server simultaneously (JF & BE)
Author: John G. Faughnan.
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. Pages
are updated on an irregular schedule; suggestions/fixes are welcome but they may take
weeks to months to be incorporated. I reserve copyright except where noted, if you want to
repost or quote a page just ask. Anyone may freely link to anything on this
site and print any page; no permission is needed for linking, printing, or
distributing printed copies.